You may register to vote if you:
Register to vote online at https://covr.sos.ca.gov/
• are a citizen of the United States,
• are a resident of California,
• will be at least 18 years of age as of the date of the next election,
• are not currently serving a state or federal prison term for the conviction of a felony, and
• have not been found mentally incompetent to vote by a court.
If you are under 18, you can pre-register to vote if you meet the following qualifications:
• You are a citizen of the United States,
• You are a resident of California,
• You are not in prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony, and
• You are at least 16 years of age.
How can I check whether I am registered and if the information is current/accurate?
When do I need to update my registration?
Update your registration here https://covr.sos.ca.gov/
Can I register to vote using a paper form?
Where can I get a paper registration form?
1. If you have moved.
2. If you have changed your name.
3. If you wish to change your political party preference.
4. If your signature has changed.
• Santa Barbara County Elections Office
4440-A Calle Real
Santa Barbara, CA
(805) 568-2200 FAX: (805) 568-2209
• at any post office
• at any library
• at most government offices
• at the local Dept. of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office
Are you a college student living away from home? You may register at your college residence address (on or off campus) or at your permanent home address, but only at one of these places; see more information
Are you homeless? You may register to vote as long as you maintain a fixed location where you can receive mail and at which you can be assigned to a voting precinct.
When is the next election?
Are held in even numbered years. Choose party nominees (national and state) and elect nonpartisan officials (state and county).
The first Tuesday in November, in even numbered years. Elect national and state officials and hold run-off elections, if needed, for nonpartisan offices.
For further information about upcoming elections, go to the California Secretary of State’s website: https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/upcoming-elections
CITY COUNCIL ELECTIONS: The City of Santa Barbara will hold elections for Mayor and for three City Council seats (Districts 4, 5, and 6) on Tuesday, November 2, 2021. This will be the last year that the city holds elections in odd numbered years. In 2024, the city will move to having elections in even-numbered years.
Voter Registration Drives
Anyone distributing voter registration forms in California should be familiar with the rules and regulations for conducting voter registration drives.
We hold registration drives throughout the year and at many of our events. Contact us if you would like to help register voters at VoterService@LWVSantaBarbara.org